4.10.2020

Twofer Challenge #26 - Rain/Umbrella

Today I have the glorious honor of being Guest Designer at Twofer Challenge!  I want to welcome you all, and hope your enjoy your visit!  Here's the prompt for this month ~


While the thought of what I was going to use as my "focal tool/image" was easy, my ideas flowed all over the place but I finally landed on these.  My first card took on the traditional use of the umbrella...


I used a recent sketch I'd seen which gave me a starting point for my design.  From there I did some water color smooshing using oxides thinned with shimmer mist, cut out the partial circle to give Mr Penguin a stage and added the puddle.  I stamped, colored and fussy cut the penguin then die cut the umbrella in layers, adding a pop of color.  I printed my own sentiment, half on the label and half inside since I didn't have what I wanted -- an encouragement.  Here's the inside ~


For my second card, I went a little untraditional with my umbrella!


I turned that umbrella upside down and made it into a flower basket.  With quite a few April/May Birthdays, I needed to make more and this one fits the bill.  I ink-blended the background, flicked water then finished with the stamped, die cut flowers which are slightly winked.  I then tucked the flowers into the umbrella bowl by cutting the handle off and placing it behind them.

Weird story -- we were given a water fountain that turned out to be HUGE and leaking...  so we decided to dismember the base, place the bowl down on the ground, and remove everything that went up from there (a little girl and boy playing).  Soon it will be a flower basket just like this one with flowers spilling out!  And thus my inspiration...

Now a little hindsight...  I went with blue backgrounds on both and wish I'd have done that a little differently, but since I had rain on the brain, I guess you'll have to give me a pass on that one - lol.



Supplies:
   Both - MFT Layered Umbrella
   Card #1 - MFT Penguins in Paradise, Sizzix Circle die
   Cars #2 - PTI Floral Wrap-Ups stamps/dies, CB - Beautiful Friend


I hope you enjoyed yourself, I've had fun on this challenge and receiving your generous visit!  Bless you all, come again and take care of yourselves - right?!

Hugs,
TK



17 comments:

Cat Craig said...

TK so nice to have you guest design with us. Both your umbrellas are lovely...I am a bit partial to that fabulous flower filled one. Thanks so much for guesting with Twofer Card Challenge.

I Card Everyone said...

Oh, TK! Congratulations on this honor - which you TOTALLY deserve, btw! I can't imagine a more welcomed sky than your blue ones - especially after a good rain! I love your sweet little umbrella - and both ways you've highlighted it -especially this last one filled with blooms - blooming genius!
I'll also be watching for photos of your new 'garden.' xo
=]

Marcia Hill said...

Two wonderful cards TK! Love your little guy that's going to dance in the rain with his umbrella, and your 2nd card with the umbrella holding the beautiful flowers is just as pretty as can be! Thanks so much for being a GD with us at The Twofer Challenge this month...we love having you join us!! :0)

Anita in France said...

The watery look of the smooshy background is fabulous behind your cute, brolly toting penguin, TK ... and what a fun sentiment (it's what I do!). Your brolly basket full of spring blooms is so fresh and lovely ... they really pop against the dappled blue sky! A fabulous duo! Thanks so much for inspiring our players as our Guest Designer at Twofer! Hugs, Anita :)

Bobby said...

When I saw the prompt I immediately thought one card I'd make would be an upside down umbrella holding flowers. I guess I'd better think again. ;) It looks lovely, TK, and the penguin is rather dapper with his red and white one.

Darnell said...

Thank you so much for being one of our Guest Designers this month, TK! I love both of your designs! I can see why you liked the sketch you used (pinning!) for your penguin holding his umbrella and I love both your splashy blue background and the way you did your uplifting sediment! Your second design - and the fact that you are going to actually do this in your own yard - is fantastic! Great job find the perfect flowers for tucking. Take care and stay safe, my friend! Happy Easter! Hugs, Darnell

Verna Angerhofer said...

I am so happy for you and so proud to call you my friend. These are amazing cards and I congratulate you. Take care and stay well. Sending big hugs your way and Happy Easter.

Brenda in IN said...

The penguin is so cute under his lovely umbrella and I love the idea of using the umbrella upside down for flowers. You will have to post a picture of your flower basket when you get yours done. It sounds beautiful.

Claire said...

Congrats on your GD spot TK and you've made two brilliant cards for the challenge. I love the smooshy background for your penguin, definitely adds to the rainy feeling. Your second card is so much fun, great idea and so well designed x

Lisa Elton said...

YAY you, congrats on guesting!! And just look at this fabulous pair of cards. Love the ways you've used the umbrellas!

Rosmarie said...

Such a gorgeous Twofer!! I turned the umbrella upside down to make a boat, and you filled yours with flowers - what a wonderful idea! Your little penguin is just as cute as can be! Happy Easter and thanks for your lovely comment! Rosi x

Carol H. said...

A BIG congratulations on your GD spot! Both of your cards are wonderful and so pretty! I do love that sentiment on the first card...dance in the puddles! Perfect! Hugs! (P.S.: Was so nice to see your pretty photo and to put a face with the name!)

Rosemary said...

Congrats on your guest st spot! Your cards are just fabulous!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Great twofer - congrats on guest designer! Especially love the umbrella filled with flowers!!

Bonnie said...

Love that bright red and white umbrella, TK! Perfect to perk up a rainy day! Filling it full of flowers on the second card makes a beautiful birthday wish! Congratulations on your Guest Designer post! Well deserved!

Karen Dunbrook said...

sweet cards....love the happy colours you used.
:) Karen

Nora Noll said...

What fabulous cards!! I LOVE the second one with the non traditional way you used the umbrella. GREAT design.